Do you love working with young children and adults?
Are you passionate about education with experience teaching English as a foreign language?
Do you have great leadership and communication skills?
Can you embrace the opportunities and challenges of living and working abroad?
The Bukit Lawang Trust is a dedicated Education Centre offering free English and Conservation lessons for young people and adults, a free kindergarten, and a library. Our ethos is to empower local people in and around Bukit Lawang, North Sumatra. The centre is situated on the outskirts of the Gunung Leuseur National Park, an area of conservation significance, and home to some of the last surviving orangutans in the wild.
Applicants are open for the role of ‘Head of Education and Manager’
(1) Management of local staff and volunteers at the centre including managing responsibilities and organising pay
(2) Oversee the recruitment and training of new volunteer teachers and provide on-going support during their placements
(3) Promote the work of the Trust through Social Media and welcome visitors to the school
(4) Assist with funding proposals
(5) Ensure that the school environment and building provides a welcoming, safe, and well-resourced centre for learning
(6) Work with visiting educators who want to deliver programmes at the Trust
- Curriculum Development:
(1) Update and make amendments to the curriculums as required
(2) Develop ways of monitoring student progress.
- Teaching/Youth Work:
(1) As required, deliver the education programme for all age groups (kindergarten to adults) alongside international volunteers and local staff
(2) Create additional educational opportunities as required, for example in supporting high-achieving students trying to go to University
(1) Work with school staff to raise awareness, and create new opportunities for local communities such as those in nearby rural villages and encourage them to access our education centre
(2) Promote use of the “Richard Cann Reading Room”: encouraging locals to access educational resources to learn about the environment
- Conservation: Work with local staff, community groups and the BLT Head of Conservation to help develop and deliver the Nature Class Curriculum
- Passionate about education with experience/training in teaching English as a foreign language (TESOL/CELTA preferred)
- Work well under your own initiative: someone who has ideas and implements them
- Strong leadership skills to support international volunteers and local staff in carrying out the English language programme
- Work well in a team and lead by example
- Positive and friendly individual with great communication skills
In return for a minimum 6 month commitment we offer:
- Monthly stipend of £150 (depending on experience).
- Free accommodation at the Bukit Lawang Trust Education Centre.
- Meals provided Monday – Friday
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.